Starting School (Rec)
Starting School is a big step for children and their parents. At Darnhall Primary School, we ensure that all new starters are given the opportunity to visit the school during the term before they start for a morning and/or afternoon session.
There are many practical ways in which you can help your child before starting school. These include:
• Talking to your child in a positive way about school in general, and what to expect.
• Making sure that your child knows what his or her belongings look like (lunchboxes, water bottles, clothing etc.) and make sure they are clearly named.
• Arranging for them to attend a nursery so that they have experienced being away from their main carer.
• Ensuring that your child speaks in full sentences and asks for things appropriately.
• Being able to ask for and use the toilet on their own.
• Teaching them to use a knife and fork.
• Encourage them to talk about their experiences.
• Providing opportunities for your child to play with other children, playing taking in turn games and encouraging them to share.
• Reading with your child regularly. Children who have been read to develop their own reading and writing skills faster and better.
Many of the teething problems which can occur when settling into school can be avoided by teaching your child how to do tasks independently. The children will have weekly PE sessions, so it is important that your child can undress and dress themselves independently.
All children in Reception will be set appropriate homework tasks through the half termly Mole Mission Homework Menu and will have books and Key Words to take home each week. The homework tasks are set for you and your child to do together. This home/school partnership is very important for the child's development.
All admissions must be made through Cheshire West and Chester LEA.