Art and Design
Art is a fantastic way for all children of all ages to express themselves, be creative and to explore.
“Every child is an artist” – Pablo Picasso
Here at Darnhall Primary School we aim to ensure that exploring the arts is built in to all areas of the curriculum wherever possible.
As a school we enjoy celebrating the art that is created through displays, assemblies and sharing work with pupils and parents.
Art in the Early Years
The development of children’s artistic and cultural awareness supports their imagination and creativity. It is important that children have regular opportunities to engage with the arts, enabling them to explore and play with a wide range of media and materials. The quality and variety of what children see, hear and participate in is crucial for developing their understanding, self-expression, vocabulary and ability to communicate through the arts. The frequency, repetition and depth of their experiences are fundamental to their progress in interpreting and appreciating what they hear, respond to and observe.
Our Early Years are following the new curriculum since September 2020.
Within Key Stage One, pupils will explore a curriculum which allows them to:
- Use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- Use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- Develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- Know about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Key Stage Two pupils will continue to explore the above points, alongside being able to:
- Create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas.
- Improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials.
- Know about great artists, architects and designers in history
Sketchbooks are used in lessons as an important tool in the children's learning journey.
'For the children, sketchbooks should be fun and enjoyable, free and individual, bursting with visual goodness and prompts, and literally a visual diary of ideas and experimentation’.
Year 5 'Inspired by Miro'
Year 6 'Painting in Greyscale'
The documents below provide an overview of the Art and Design curriculum at Darnhall as well as a progression of skills across each year group.